Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Big Bend Ranch State Park

We are in the planning stages for a trip to Big Bend Ranch State Park in the next few weeks. We are planning on spending 4 nights in this almost 300k acre park. The State Park has been open for only a few years now, and it is remote enough that it sounds like it does not get a llot of visitors

I grew up visiting Big Bend National Park (800k acres), but I have not visited the almost adjacent State Park yet. Many areas in State Park are only accessible by 4WD and high ground clearance, so it should be fun.

The plan is to stay in 4 different spot so we can see more areas of the park, and to have this trip be somewhat of a scouting trip for a longer spring-break trip next spring.

Has anyone visited BBRSP yet?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #2

Never been to it. But, like you I've spent time in the National Park. Since the National Park far exceeded any expectations I had, I would hope the State Park would also be a worthwhile visit.

The real problem is the remoteness. It is a long way from nearly anywhere to that part of Texas.

Be sure and give us a trip report after your visit.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Our backcountry camping reservations are in place.

I was disappointed to find that there is still only the one entrance to the park (on the West side). I had hoped that the county road on the NE corner of the park we be open to traffic, but not yet. They do have an agreement with the county, but do not have signage in place yet. Now I hope it will be open for our trip back there in the spring.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
If you're looking for a side trip and in the area of the Barton Warnock Environmental Education Center just outside of Lajitas check to see if one of the park interpreters will be conducting a moonlight HooDoo hike. They supply you with night vision goggles and hand held black lights for spotting scorpions spiders and other creatures of the night that inhabit the HooDoo's.

I'm headed to the state park and the national park for two weeks in December. Be sure to post where you stay in the state park....I've checked out a few of the back country sites online and have narrowed down a few that I'd like to check out.

Enjoy and have a safe trip!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #5

Txn,

I always like to stop by Lajitas and Study Butte when I am in the area; I always want to talk to the Far Flung adventures crew and see who is hanging out at La Kiva..... but not this trip.

Since the only entrance into the State Park is all the way over by Presidio, we will not be on 170 much and will have no time on the river.

This trip is really a scouting trip for a longer Spring Break trip in March. Our plan is to stay at three different backcountry camp sites in three different areas. Because of the timing we will not spend the night in the NE part of the park.

We are looking at Guale #2, Chorro Vista, and Yedra #2 each for a night.

I expect the vista to be incredible at the first two spots.

If we have time we will run up to the NE during one day. Our hope is that by Spring they will have the NE entrance to the park opened up. When that happens you get a bonus with a great drive from there to Marfa.

We will I imagine be taking a bunch of pics and we will prepare for a thorough trip report.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Greg,

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures and trip report. Guale#2 also peaked my interest. It was described as "the most remote and by far, the most spectacular campsite in the entire park"....that's right up my alley!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #7

We are just hours away from heading out on this trip. The weather looks great... with quite a variety of temps, from low 30's to low 80's.

We will try and send pics during the trip if we can find any connectivity via the cell network. (the satellite internet equipment has arrived, but I have had not chance to play with it, so it will not be making the trip)
Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #8

WOW.... we are at our last campsight, for our last night in Big Bend Ranch SP, and what-do-you-know.... we get a cell signal.

This place is incredible. B E A U T I F U L ! ....and remote !

We keep getting surprised that there can be such incredible scenery and views everywhere. All three campsites have been positioned for incredible views.

Pics and a full trip report will follow when we are back home.

Greg (on Michele's account)
mckaytrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #9

We left for Big Bend Ranch on Friday in the middle of the afternoon. We drove West through the Hill Country to IH10 where we continued west to Fort Stockton. From Fort Stockton we turned Southwest on 67 and headed through Alpine and Marfa to Presidio. At Presidio we head back East on Hiway 170 for just a few miles.

We could also have taken 169 just South of Marfa and headed through Casa Peidra. This would have allowed us to bypass Presidio, but we do not think it is all paved, and since we were driving at night at the end of a long day we chose to stay on pavement.

When you leave hiway 170 you do leave the pavement, and you are still a number of miles from the park entrance and a bout 30 miles from the main Ranger Station at Sauceda.

This road is wide and graded, but is washboard in a lot of places.

It was well after dark and somewhere approaching midnight when we hit the dirt. The offroad lights did come in handy.

Originally we only had the PIAAs on but I decided to turn on both sets, and it was at that point we realized we were not driving through flatlands...

The drive was slow in the dark, but we made it to the Sauceda Ranger station without seeing another soul or another vehicle. We backed quickly into a parking area and popped the top to grab some well needed rest.

...and just minutes after we arrived at the ranger station the coyotes began their songs...
Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #10

There is a camp site designated for late arrivals right at the park entrance in case one does not want to drive on in after dark.

We did not stop to check that sie since we wanted to maximize our Saturday the next day.