Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #1

395 Trip

Finally getting around to posting a short trip report that me and my buddies took up Hwy 395.

First of all, thanks to "JStanley" for some great suggestions.
Quote:
Up Mazurka to Badger Flat. 4wd from Badger to Papoose flat (excellent place to camp). Papoose Flat to Squaw Flat. Down out of Squaw Flat via Marble canyon, out to the Eureka/Saline Valley Road.

Good deer and chukar hunting, and lots of artifacts, mining and prehistoric. Be careful of the mineshafts.

I would advise getting out of Squaw Flat via Marble Canyon NOT the Hinds road west of Andrews Mnt.
I would also advise against the Papoose Flat strait down to Harkless Flat route, easy but now closed.
First night we got into Alabama Hills area a little late. Never having been there we fumbled around in the dark for a while until we just picked a spot to call home for the night.

Woke to some beautiful views, ate and headed up to do the short hike up to Stoney House (again, thanks JStanley). A pretty cool building that is well kept inside with a broom & lantern. It's clear people camp inside the house and use the huge fireplace often.

We then headed to Mazurka Canyon road and headed up exploring some mines on the way. The views of The Sierra from the top were fantastic.

After fumbling around a bit to find the right trail from Badger to Papoose Flat we got our fill of 4-wheeling for the day. This was a great trail and a little tight in spots. Of course it wouldn't be an outing for me if I didn't mess up my bike rack some how. I was trying to get past a tree in a significant off-camber section. Had my friend looking out the window to make sure I didn't rip the awning off the van. After clearing the awning, he yelled "all clear". Off I went and proceeded to rip the back two bikes off the fork mounts. Made an awful noise. We were almost to Papoose Flat, so one of the guys road his bike down and we threw the other bike in the van. Made some repairs that night that got us all the way home. (Side note: I added a few more heavy duty band clamps in the van after realizing how handy they can be for trail repairs.)

We camped at Papoose Flat which is arguably one of the best camp sites I've ever had. The views were stunning. We thought we were all by ourselves until we saw a dog in our camp in the morning and it owner a few minutes later walking down the trail. A very weathered looking older guy who also thought he had the place to himself.

We then headed down to the Narrows (Marble Canyon) to exit the area. If you like your paint, I do not recommend taking this trail. I now have more pin stripes than nice paint on the van, but hey, I didn't buy the van to be a poser.

We got to the entrance to Marble Canyon where there is the remnants of a mine and building. The up to date claim paperwork was in a can nailed to the wall. We walked the trail into the canyon a ways to see if it looked doable and decided to give it a try. After more pin striping and managing to get over a huge boulder in a tight spot we discovered that about 30' beyond where we scouted on foot the trail became impassible for all but extreme rock crawlers. So .... back up the trail and over the boulder again. (The pictures don't do the size of the boulder or tightness of the situation justice.) My spotters did an excellent job of betting me through without dinging anything.

I now think that JStanley must have meant to exit going past Marble Canyon, not down it.

Mines everywhere.

We finally got back down to 395 and headed into Mammoth for a little lunch. It was snowing when we pulled into Mammoth. After our lunch we pulled into one of the Rock Creek campgrounds to say hi to "BillWilson" who we had been in touch with. Since we aren't the campground types, we ended up stumbling our way up another trail camping at the edge of a burn area. This actually turned out to be a pretty cool spot too. We had to clear some trees out of the trail to get up it and we were well off by ourselves.

Next day we tried to go up to Laurel Lakes, but the trail was still blocked by snow a short distance up the trail. We then headed out to the hot springs in the valley to the east of Mammoth. Found a great campsite, soaked for a while, made a new friend who had his Bambi Airstream trailer on a "business trip". Great guy. We shared some dinner and beers around the fire.

Next day we headed home. Stopped and checked out Mono Lake for a while. Tioga Pass wasn't open yet, so we headed up north and went over 89 to 50. There was still quite a bit of snow at elevation.

All-in-all a good trip. The van did admirably again. I continue to be impressed with its 4-wheeling capabilities. This is the first heavily loaded 4-wheeling I've done since I had Deaver enhance their original rear spring pack with another leaf. It is a huge improvement. The van feels just right fully loaded now instead of feeling heavy in the butt.

Thanks again to JStanley for the recommendations.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #2

Re: 395 Trip

Wow that looks like a cool trip. Love the vistas and camping areas chosen. May have to plan a trip there.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #3

Phil,
Thanks for posting this great report. I have been by some of those areas and did not realize how beautiful. I am planning a trip for late summer so will definitely hit some of these spots. Thanks to jstanley too!

>>BTW, I think it is spelled Mazourka Canyon (in case anyone wants to look it up).<<

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Phil,

Here's another option to band (hose) clamps. You use (stainless or other) wire to form your own clamp. No you can reuse it like a hose clamp, but you can custom make seriously tight wire wraps. I love the thing. Picked it up at a gun show years ago, but you can buy it online.

http://www.clamptitetools.com/

Herb

[EDIT: seeing the online prices, I'm pretty sure I got it quite a bit cheaper at a gun show]
Old 06-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #5

Great trip report and pics, thanks.

That area is my favorite playground. Heading up there next weekend.

Rob
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #6

I glad you had a good trip.

I did mean to go down the narrows, the Hinds road is REALLY offcamber with a 100 ft slope to roll down, I think the narrows is much safer.

So, me and a buddy are exploring one of those mines in Marble Canyon with a bic lighter and my buddy kicks something and lowers the Bic lighter down and says "Its a box, and it says... , "H" "E" "R"... "C" "U" 'L'... "E" "S"..."

The sunrise on the South Face of Lone Pine Peak from the Stone House is spectacular!

I got lots more routes in that area, I lived there for 20 years... but I haven't done a lot there in the SMB, the Marble Canyon Narrows are pretty easy in a 4X4 Toyota Truck.
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #7

double tap
Old 06-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanley
double tap

Brent
Old 06-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanley
double tap

Brent
Actually I go with the "El Presidente" or "Mozambique" Drill, just in case they are wearing a vest.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #10

Hey JStanley,

If you haven't been down the canyon in 20 years that may explain it. Either that or I was in the wrong canyon. The first major obstacle didn't have to do with it being too technical, it was very heavy foliage (manzanita) wall to wall in the canyon. Someone had plowed through that in a 4wd and made a mess before getting to a rather deep washout with a huge boulder in the middle of it. I wish I had taken a picture of the impassable part. I

Go check it out and let me know what you find. Let me know when and I can hopefully join you!

It was still fun going down the canyon as far as we did.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote