Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Airtronic Furnace installed

When we picked up McBeast back in May, SMB explained that they had somehow forgotten to install the furnace. It was on the build sheet, but had not been transfered to the paperwork used in the shop. They had the furnace, but it just was not installed.

We decided that since we were rolling into summer that we would not worry about it at the time. Now that we are headed to Colorado for the weekend, we decided to get it installed. The install took just a few hours today.

The orignal furnace that had been purchased had been used in another build, and that was lucky for us. SMB TX said the last 4 or 5 units have been coming with a new altitude compensation module. THis module eliminates the need for two fuel pumps and two fuel lines, etc etc. I think I remember reading that altitude was a problem for some in the past, and that the multiple pumps and lines had been a problem. Hopefully this solves the problem. We may get a chance to try it out this weekend and will let you know how it works if we do.

We got a short orientation session when we picked McBeast up this afternoon, and we were amazed at how much heat that little thing can put out.

I also seem to remember reading about someone having problems with dust or dirt building up in the exhaust. I am thinking about a metal removeable cap. Am I remembering this problem correctly?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #2

I called Airtronic after reading some of the posts here on dust and dirt getting into the intake and exhaust lines. Airtronic said that the exhaust shouldn't be a problem unless one was getting mud or something in the exhaust pipe. The air in that pipe is going out so it will clear itself. I was advised that if I was doing a lot of dirt road driving that a filter or cap on the intake would be a good idea as dirt would mess up the combustion chamber.
One of my next projects is to cap it as shown on another post.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

Garage
Had you searched, you would have found:

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... ight=espar
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Jeff,

Some of had already read that thread.... but did not want to hijack it for a different purpose. I want to hear other folks' experience and solutions.

Thanks,
Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #5

Garage
No problem, Greg. I, too, am interested in other's experiences.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #6

My exhaust side is easily accessible, but the intake is much less accessible.

The exhaust gets VERY hot very fast. It looks like the intake is also metal, does it get hot as well?

I ask that because I wonder if a plastic cap would really work on the intake... it certainly would not on the exhaust.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #7

Well it’s not issue the dealing with the air intake but …
Does your (or anyone else’s) Airtronic make a ticking noise inside the cabin? Mine does and it drives me nuts. It’s caused by the Espar fuel pump pulsating. Espar says it’s a normal condition for the pump to pulse. SMB tried replacing pump with a new one (didn’t work). I have run it without the isolator mounting bracket and it still ticks. The ticking is really loud by the refrigerator. I think the refrigerator or cabinet acts like a drum and amplifies the noise. The only solution for a quiet sleep with the heater running is to use ear plugs. Note that it’s not audible from up in the penthouse, but I have to sleep downstairs and keep the dogs company. If anyone else has this issue I would love to know how you silenced it.

Other than the ticking and never remembering how to program the thermostat I really like the heater.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #8

Well, we only have the test runs for ours so far, but maybe we will have more info after the weekend....

I don't think ours will be ticking though.
The fuel pump is mounted under the van. I felt the pulsating (ticking) when we were testing the unit, but I am not sure I could hear it, even when looking at it from a foot away. The new altitude compensation module modulates the fuel pump to pulse faster or slower as appropriate; this eliminates the need for the second pump.

Charlie, does your unit have one or two fuel pumps?
...is your fuel pump inside the van?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #9

We have the high altitude module as well. The pump is mounted under the van along the drivers side rail on a rubber isolator bracket. Note that the bracket had a very sharp corner on it and was rubbing up against a coolant line. Caused a leak.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #10

I will have to check our install for sharp edges....

So even with your pump installed external to the van you had the ticking internal to the van at a volume enough to be annoying??

hhmmm.... now I am going to be listenin' for it if/when we ever get to use it, and I probably won't sleep all niht, even if I can't hear anything !