Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

What Axle ? 9.75 or 10.5 Full Float, went with Sterling

OK, I know this has been discussed a few times before but I can't figure this out when using the car part. com search. When I call the Yard they aren't much help. I don't want to drive an hour to find out this axle won't work for me. I also don't want to pull the trigger, get it home, to find that out, it's been known to happen! I will be calling them tomorrow and hopefully get the BOM#. What they did tell me is that it's from a 2007, it has 3.73 gears an no LSD.

So I do the "Car-Part" search and get the option 10.50 for the Full Float. All the other options are for Semi Float 9.75. I already have the SF and want to upgrade to FF, re-gear, and Lock it.

So my Question is what axle is this? Is this a D70 and will my wheel spacers, that also change the lug pattern work with this swap. If this is a D70 then will the axle stick out more? OK that was more than one question, but I would appreciate any feedback from you guys that have done similar swaps.

I believe that there are more options for locking the D70, am I right? Any recommendations on economical lockers?

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
smugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #2

Re: What Axle do I want? 9.75 or 10.5 Full Float

The D70 FF from cutaways is a 10.5" ring gear. It could be the same width, but if it is from a newer SRW cutaway with rear tank, it could be 4" wider (so 2" per side, or roughly the same as common spacers). Prior to about '08 (I think) all the SRW cutaways had the same axle width as the vans. Only recently did they put the wider ones on the SRW cutaways.

PS - my '00 van came with a D70 FF, but the 9.75" gears. Changing the carrier allowed for 10.5" gears.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #3

Call Chris at U-Joint, he will have all your answers. (He likes to use the Sterling)

http://ujointoffroad.com/

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #4

I have been doing research on getting a Dana full floater for my 2008 E-350 and this is what I have found out so far.

1999 was the first year vans received rear disc brakes but they are mounted in a different location then the 2000 up vans are.

In 2008 the brake system received a major up date and the axles changed then as well. I was hoping it was just a caliper mount difference but I have been told the axle flanges are indeed different.

As far as I know ALL vans with ASC have full floaters as they have 4 channel ABS not 3 channel.

Loaded up window vans, even E-250s are much more likely to have full floaters than cargo (including bare cargo vans with windows) vans are, because they weigh more empty thus needing a better axle to carry the weight when loaded up.

Full floater are called 10.50 but might not have the big ring gears inside.

There are D-60 and D-70 full floaters.

Your wheel adapters will work on any van axle as they are all 8 on 6.5 (your brake parts should work too if you need them)

Locking diffs, gears, axles and other off road parts are more limited for Dana's rear axles then Sterling's (F-Series trucks that U-Joint Chris Recommends swapping to) as vans are the only thing that still uses them. D-50 and 60 front axles are different because of the high pinion and reverse rotation thus not all of the parts are interchangeable.

So from what I have found out from Ford dealers, Axle shops, Guys on the forums (thanks carringb and others) just looking at vans I have seen while driving around (vans with full floaters have longer center caps on the rear) and axles on e-Bay and CraigsList this is what you should be able to use.

Any 2000-2007 E-250 or 350 single rear wheel axle should fit. I would check your axle for any electrical connections ABS speed sensor. I think most of them have one but check to be sure. Make sure the new axle has a matching connection to yours if you have one. Also if the people at the yard you are calling cannot tell you if it is a full floater have them send you a picture of the hub area. If it has a large hub with bolts for the axle its a full floater if it looks like yours its a semi float.

I have seen prices all over the place from a high of $1,650 (free shipping) to $257.80 at Pick and Pull for a tired and picked over 1999.

Hope that helps...
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

carringb, What I know is that the axle I'm looking at getting is from a 2007. Their description is " E350, SRW, (dsc), 10.50 ring gear, (full float axl), 3.73 ratio 25% RESTOCKING FEE. So I will assume it is the same width.

But now there is the question of the I.D. of my Spacers/Adaptors. I get an approximate measurement of 4.75" (4.875" actual)on the I.D. of Spacer/Adaptor. Can someone give me a measurement of the O.D. of their FF Axle hub?

My grand plan is to make the trip to get the axle and have them swap it out for me. In order to do that I want to cover these possible hurdles ahead of time.

BIGVANS, I did contact Chris and he gave me some useful info., and yes he does like the sterling. But it was a little bit intimidating to think about what was involved with that swap, but still not out of the question.

Ultrasport12, It makes sense that this might have a 9.75" RG, But this can get changed when I do my ratio change, correct? I'm planning on a 4.56 ratio and some type of locker.

Anyone know if there are more locker options with the larger Ring Gear or does this not make a difference?

Thanks for all the input!

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
Old 04-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #6

The hub spec is 4.88". This is true for all E-series vans except pre'07 E150s. The FF hub actually tapers down ever so slightly as it comes out past the wheel, so if your adapters fit the wheel flange on your current axle, then they will also fit a FF axle.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

Henderson's tells me their SuperSteer SuperTrack rear wheel spacers only come with one inner Dia. For Ford vans. The only options are Spacer thickness, Lug thread, Lug spacing (“Adapter Setup” like SMB uses or “Spacer Setup” to keep the older 8x6.5) From what I have been told Henderson's is tied to the old discontinued “Correctrack” brand spacers and the same specs. Apply.
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #8

This site has some good info. on spacers.
http://mrtruck.net/spacer.htm
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

Thanks BV, Still on the hunt for an axle. The two I had leads on, I guess didn't really exist. When I called on them they gave me a price. VIN # ratio etc.. Strange when I asked for the BOM the Axles were no longer in their yard!

carringb, Thanks for the measurement!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #10

You might try Bill at Santa Clara Truck Wreckers http://www.santaclaratruckwreckers.com/
They are very helpful and Bill is a great guy. Others here have purchased their axles from them and everyone seems to recomend them. They also do lockers and gear set changes. While not that close to you (and possibly a bit pricey) I am sure they can get you just what you want. Let me know if you want me to stop by and look at something for you.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote