Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Hi-Lift Jacks

After the little dilemma in DV with Cellular-Steve I now think a Hi-Lift jack is something I want to have, but I have a few questions. I read through the archives and understand there are several options other than a Hi-Lift but in Steve’s situation the Hi-Lift was about the only thing that got him out of the jam he was in. A bottle or air jack would not have worked IMO. The Hi-Lift worked well but his van is much lighter than mine.
My weights last time I checked:
Total = 11,080
F axle = 4,320
R axle = 6,760
LF = 2,340
RF = 1,980
LR = 3,340
RR = 3,360

One member made the comment he was barely able to get the wheel off the ground while lifting off the bumper but I’m not sure I want to use it for that unless it’s my only choice.

So….
<<Will the heavy duty model lift my axle or am I asking for trouble?>>

<<What size should I get if buy one? Any advantage of the 60” over the 48”?>>
I understand where lifting the bumper would require the tallest jack.

SMB can mount it under the front bumper.
<<Mistake?>>

It’s heavy and difficult to remove/install mounted there plus I don’t know what it will do to the air flow if any. It sets up high so I’m not really worried about hitting it and if I sink to a point that I can’t get it out, I still have a winch.
I’m resisting mounting above the fairlead because it blocks the license plate and the fog lights, plus because the SMB kit mount sticks out so far, it causes trouble for me when parking the van at home. Mounting on top of the bumper is possible but I would rather not have it there for “looks” reason. My back bumper has a pull pal and large equipment box in the way but if there is a way to sneak it in back there I’m all ears. Also, I’m open to any other suggestions or views.

Thanks
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote