Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #751

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

Replaced the back-up camera switch (lets me use the back-up camera when not in reverse) with one that matches the rest.
Original.

New.

Switches for gps, bluetooth and back-up camera.

Switches for right and left turning lights.

The cockpit.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #752

Does it count : used the van to pass the US driver test... got it

Beside that, insulated the top part of the van, changed my bumpers and dropped the fuel tank to upgrade the vents, maybe it will help on the next fill.

Picts are here in my build topic
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #753

Installed Monroe shocks so I can make Ouray tomorrow for the Imogene run Saturday. Thanks to Bilstein for not understanding the difference between "In Stock" and "we'll build 'em when we bother".

More later...
Old 09-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #754

I've had a lot done over the last two weeks:
  • Replaced both fuel filters. I'm actually getting pretty good at this one now.[/*:m:yb2g3hm7]
  • Installed awning brackets for the feet directly on the van (DIY)[/*:m:yb2g3hm7]
  • Replaced the o-ring on the gray water overflow (exterior of the van)[/*:m:yb2g3hm7]

I took a trip up to Fresno this past Monday to have SMB West do some work as well:
  • Installed a Kyocera 135 solar panel[/*:m:yb2g3hm7]
  • Penthouse springs adjusted for the new panel[/*:m:yb2g3hm7]
  • Had the back up camera replaced, the prior one (Audiovox) decided to die[/*:m:yb2g3hm7]
  • Replaced the shroud on the cargo door that has the pop out window. It was cracked where the window latch sits.[/*:m:yb2g3hm7]
  • Replaced rear door shade as the strings had broken[/*:m:yb2g3hm7]
  • Since I had never removed the sway bars, they were completely siezed up after 4 years. Had them removed, some hardware replaced, some grease applied and a learning lesson instilled. I will now remove them occassionally to prevent this from happening again.[/*:m:yb2g3hm7]

Unfortunately on my drive home on Monday evening, my emissions control light came on. I have two error codes now:

P0299 - Turbo or solenoid issue
P0611 - Fuel injection control

I'm bringing the van into Ford on Monday for the warranty work.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #755

This has been bugging me for a long time and I finally got around to doing something about it. I have the preformed countertop/sink which is a very clean and well made feature in our SMB except for one thing. The flange of the drain was sticking up a proud 1/16". Because of this, it would take some effort to wash the little bits down the drain.
The angle of the sink and drain were not matched. So I pulled the drain and started to reshaped the sink in an attempt to improve this. Mostly using a very sharp chisel I scraped away the fiberglass to get the right angle a create a recess for the flange to set into. Here is how it looked when I was done.
BTW this make it official, I have now reworked every last bit of the plumbing in my van.

John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #756

Garage

Installed LED license plate light bolts. I used the existing holes in my Aluminess bumper for a rear view camera. Rather than drill new holes I installed these. Good quality and a pretty slick solution for $5.

http://gb.suntekstore.com/2x-White-L..._campaign=gbus
Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #757

- mounted ScanGauge
- changed the rear diff oil again (got a bunch of dirty gunk and crap out). A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice
- got the new LH front Bushwacker on (I was replacing the fronts because the old ones were notched for a Road Armor bumper, which they don't need to be for an Aluminess bumper)
- went to replace the smoke detector and found out I need oversized or to relocate the screws
- removed the infamous high mount brake light in the PH top to replace the bulb. It didn't work because there were no bulbs in it because it was rusty, and most of the plastic screw mounts were broken. I could have upgraded to a nice LED unit but being short on time and energy I just ordered (what I think is) the identical replacement to avoid any fiberglass rework:

Sierra Products 403 small flange 0 degree vertical mount "403BF2"
http://www.esierra.us/Qstore/Qstore.cgi ... 1029271236

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #758

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

The gray water tank has been a pain in the butt since day one. It doesn’t drain on the same side as black water. You need to run a hose to drain it if you are in a sensitive area. And there was the size, the venting, and the drain being about 6? under the sliding door. I finally got tired of having to lay down in the dirt every time I connected a hose so I ran the drain out to the door. The problem with that (although I put up with it a couple of years) was you would end up with a hose right where the step needed to be.

So, I re-plumbed it and now the drain is in front of my rear tire. All the plumbing is hidden except for the drain end to which a hose attaches.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #759
Site Team

Garage

Complete wash, buff and wax.

Jiminy is looking pretty spiffy.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #760
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
Complete wash, buff and wax.

Jiminy is looking pretty spiffy.
Awwwww, getting her all pretty for the big dance? I wish I had the time to make it to the Meet and Greet myself.

Herb