Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Homebuilt battery box pics?

Hello out there. I'm planning my battery box for the passenger side frame rail. I have seen a couple on here but can't find the pics of the one I'm looking for. I found a sweet aluminum one that jcracing built for 2 6 volts on the driver's side, but I KNOW there are a couple I've seen on here for the passenger side. Btw, I am NOT talking about the factory Ford boxes, but a homemade welded one. Please help if you know who built one, I remember seeing a cool build thread with lots of pics, including jacking it up into place.
Thanks!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Homebuilt battery box pics?

I recently took my batteries down to install tie downs and add some protection. You can sorta see how they are mounted. The battery tray shown is bolted onto two fabricated angle brackets. The angle brackets are bolted onto the frame. I mounted the batteries on their side to increase ground clearance.

These are Group 27 batteries, but Group 31 would have higher capacity and they are also a little narrower. My builder just couldn't understand my instructions... The only problem with mounting them this way is it is really tight to mount a hoop step.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #3

Thx Dhally! I'm surprised they will go sideways. Mine won't because they are wet cells. I like the idea though. I still need to do some measuring.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #4

Battery mounted
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

Toolman, awesome set up! I read somewhere that the frame was really tough to drill through. Was it bad?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #6

Thanks
It's not too bad
Old 09-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #7

Toolman,

Did your van have holes in the frame for two boxes or only one? Is that why you welded the boxes together instead of using the stock holes?

86Scotty,

You might find it easier to drill the boxes you make to fit the frame instead of driling both the box and the frame. I am still very happy with the Ford boxes and got both of mine for about $85 shipped to my door. But my van had holes for two boxes maybe vans before 2003 (for the 6.0 diesels) dont who knows what they change from year to year. The only limit I see with the boxes is if you do not want to use a group 65 battery.

Good luck on your battery box project...
...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #8

I used the factory holes
Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12

86Scotty,

You might find it easier to drill the boxes you make to fit the frame instead of driling both the box and the frame. I am still very happy with the Ford boxes and got both of mine for about $85 shipped to my door. But my van had holes for two boxes maybe vans before 2003 (for the 6.0 diesels) dont who knows what they change from year to year. The only limit I see with the boxes is if you do not want to use a group 65 battery.

Good luck on your battery box project...
...Jamie
Jamie, that's my plan, making my box fit factory holes, but still weighing my options. On my 02 I see 3 sets of large holes, which I am assuming are the ones for battery boxes? My batteries are just longer than the spread of the factory holes, plus I want to play with my welder. I'm gonna start this project tomorrow so I'll have more pics and info on what I'm doing. I REALLY need to get this done and get my inverter wired back up so I can have some ac power back in the van.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #10

Mine are on the drivers side and on the old school platform ('75-'91) vintage, but the principle could be easily transferred.
battery rack holds two group 31's. In the down position for loading/wiring:

In the up position: