Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
recommendation for sat radio / cd player / nav / backup cam

I'm looking for a recommendation to replace the factory radio with a sirius/xm radio /cd player / navigation / and backup cam... why got any of those that will fit in the giant existing radio spot in a ford?

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Joe,

We are getting Kenwood DNX 710 for our SMB. It is satelite radio and back-up camera ready. It also includes navigation, iPod connection, DVD player, and other cool stuff. The price seem reasonable for what it does. Check Amazon for the price and reviews. I will let you know more in detail once we get our rig.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
We've got the same setup. There are a couple quirks (the xm radio is accessed via the built in garmin gps instead of via the usual audio controls) and things that could be done a little better, but overall I really like it.

I've never had built in navigation or satellite radio before. I really like both. You can also sign up for traffic and weather service via XM so the gps will alert you to weather issues and traffic delays, and reroute you as appropriate.

I will be glad when (if) XM and Sirius merge. There are stations offered from both that I'd like. Neither line-up is perfect.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #4

Joe,

I have the Pioneer Z1 - It is a double DIN which means it fills the entire space of the stock radio. I had it in a F250 and moved it over to my SMB after my purchase. Pioneer advertises this as a Navigation system but it does it all. "The next generation of the ultimate in HDD navigation and multimedia is here. Pioneer's AVIC-Z2 is a double-DIN size, all-in-one system equipped with a 30GB hard disk drive (HDD) to deliver information, entertainment, and convenience on the road. Between the Z2's ultra-fast processing and the massive Tele Atlas database offering 12 million points of interest, getting where you need to be has never been so easy. And with a built-in HDD music library, DVD playback on the large 7-inch display, and iPod direct control expansion, the Z2 ensures that you'll be entertained every minute along the way."

The hard drive stores all the maps and points of interest and leaves 10 gig to load your own music -- Every time you play a cd it will burn it to the hard drive and you no longer need the cd -- It burns at a faster rate than the cd so you do not have to listen to the whole album if you do not want.

The head unit come with the Navigation, DVD Player, CD Player. It plays all other formats but will only burn CD's and not MP3's -- I believe it is a copyright thing.

I also have the XM Mobile with NAV Trafiic that gives you real time traffic conditions -- It will route you around traffic - this is a small fee from XM -- $4.00 a month

I have the Ipod controller so I can control any Ipod from the touch screen- It also charges it while it is attached.

Other add ons I have are Bluetooth and Backup Camera (comes on when shifted to reverse and while traving as well)

I also added a Video screen in the rear so the kids can watch DVD -- you can mix any combination -- IE Nav in front DVD in Rear -- DVD on Both -- Music through Speaker while DVD in Rear with headphones.

I am sure I left out alot but here is the link to Pioneer
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... sh/AVIC-Z2

The only difference between the Z1 and Z2 is updated Maps and software
I bought a Hard Drive on Ebay that made mine a Z2 and to my surprize it was filled with music.

There is a simple trick to let you view the DVD and input an address while driving if are one to live dangerously.

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #5

You guys know if there is any way to load in National Geographic topo maps (or something similar) into these units?? Something that will have all the backcountry trails and contours - Thanx

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #6

You can't into the Garmin units that I know about. I was surprised by how many of the little backroads were in the GPS, but it's not quite the same. I take my hiking GPS as well which has the topo maps in it.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #7

I second the Pioneer AVIC Z-1 as well. I think the newest one is the Z3.

outopawn, check the website http://www.avic411.com
There is lots of good info there!
armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #8

Thanks armlock for the link

I have search for topo maps for the Z1 but with no luck

I can say that in the short time that I have had my SMB every 4x4 trail -Joshua Tree, Souther Sierras, Kernville, Santiago Peak, -- that I have travel on has benn on the GPS Maps of the Z1.

But I also carry a handheld GPS loaded with USA TOPOS

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #9

I should say you can't into the in-dash Garmin units, as far as I've heard. If you were looking for a single GPS solution take a look at new Garmin Colorado, thar purty.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to lobo_q3a
Double DIN not fitting our SMBs?

hello to all

i've gone thru multiple websites and made numerous calls and apparently the nav/stereo kits mentioned in this thread do not fit the dash of the SMBs.

has anyone found a way to fit these double DIN sized stereos without tearing into the plastic?

thx
lobo_q3a is offline   Reply With Quote