Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #1

6.0L reliability

Slowly getting closer to a SMB and had a question. The fire department I work for purchased three 2006 E 450 6.0 L ambulances about a year ago. We have had continual problems with the engines on all three units and on several occasions it has delayed responses and even broken down with patients in them( 100 miles from our city). After doing some research it appears that we are not alone, in fact Detroit Fire fire has similar problems but on a grander scale, more than 1/2 of their ambulances have been out of service at times due to mechanical problems. Right now our 2001 7.3's are considered our reliable workhorses.
So question is, how are your 6.0's doing? Are the later model ones more reliable? This post isn't meant to slam Ford or SMB, it's just that my wife and I are going to be in the middle of nowhere....a lot, and we want the reliability. Much the same as many of you i'm sure.
Thanks,
Josh

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #2

Josh, I think your concerns are valid. On our trip home from picking up our '05 the check engine light came on at about 200 miles on the clock. Before the van hit 10k miles it has been to the dealer 3 times.
1st trip- reprogram the ecu, was told no problem found. check engine light came right back on.
2nd trip new engine wiring harness
3rd trip new turbo
The good thing is that although the van has had some issues it has never left me on the side of the road-knock on wood.

I'm sure that there are other people out there with different opinions.

If I had to do it all over again it think I might seriously consider the chevy diesel quigly van. Not as hardcore off-road but I don't use our SMB as a "trail toy". I have a different vehicle for that.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #3

Garage
if you want reliability w/o any headaches have you considered the V10? Originally started my quest looking for a diesel but in the end we went for the proven V10. Tons of power and torque, they're pretty quiet and bulletproof, cheaper (more $$ for gas or accessories...). Yeah you lose some mpg's but the newer diesels ain't doing so hot w/ all the new emissions and everything. max you're looking at 3-4 mpg better. I'm getting a pretty consistent 12.5-13.5, diesel you would be lucky if you did better than 15.

just my .02

-d
Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #4

I've entertained the thought of gas. I keep coming back to the convieniance of the diesel heater and flat plate, also the mileage.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Site Team

That is the $64 question.

Have about 36,000 miles on an '06 6.0. Had the turbo replaced under warranty, and has been to the dealer one with the previous owner for a recall. Other than that, mine's been good. I believe they have gotten better, and I'd definitely avoid the '03's and '04's if possible, though many people have had good luck with them as well.

If only the 7.3's were still available. A workhorse and relaible. Had one in an '02 F250.

The diesel appliances are definitley attractive, and if you're planning on towing, I prefer the low RPM torque of the diesel over the higher RPM torque of the V10. The V10 does actually have more torque, but IMO it's not quite as useful where it makes that torque.

Herb
Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #6

Gas Heater versus Diesel

It looks like Webasto and Espar both make gas versions of these heaters. Has anyone used them? Does SMB offer them as an option?

This page shows both gas and diesel:
http://www.webastoshowroom.com/blueheat ... _specs.htm

This link mentions petrol variant and diesel. I am assuming that petrol is gas.
http://espar.com/html/products/airtronic5.html
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #7

Re: Gas Heater versus Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
It looks like Webasto and Espar both make gas versions of these heaters. Has anyone used them? Does SMB offer them as an option?
I recently installed a gas powered webasto airtop 2000. I've only used it a couple times so far but i'm quite happy with it. Since Sportsmobile offers the diesel espars I'd ask them if they would install the gas powered ones, I can't really see any reason why they wouldn't.
jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #8

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Re: 6.0L reliability

The 6.0L is much more complex than the 7.3. The 7.3 was derived from the old 6.9...The 6.0L was an all new engine.

I recommend a 6.0 or better yet a 6.4L...but never chip it. But, if I bought a 7.3, I would chip it. A chipped 7.3 is roughly the same power as a 6.0 stock!

I shy away from any all new engine. My Volvo has an engine that was 10 year in production. My Dodge had the old 5.9l LA block from the 60's. Even so, I would avoid the 5.9 Magnum first year too.

For better Ford diesel opinions...go to
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/forums/ ... =14&page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Slowly getting closer to a SMB and had a question. The fire department I work for purchased three 2006 E 450 6.0 L ambulances about a year ago. We have had continual problems with the engines on all three units and on several occasions it has delayed responses and even broken down with patients in them( 100 miles from our city). After doing some research it appears that we are not alone, in fact Detroit Fire fire has similar problems but on a grander scale, more than 1/2 of their ambulances have been out of service at times due to mechanical problems. Right now our 2001 7.3's are considered our reliable workhorses.
So question is, how are your 6.0's doing? Are the later model ones more reliable? This post isn't meant to slam Ford or SMB, it's just that my wife and I are going to be in the middle of nowhere....a lot, and we want the reliability. Much the same as many of you i'm sure.
Thanks,
Josh

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #9

Diesel vs gas

To me the diesel doesn't make sense.
They cost more, make way less horsepower and even less torque... In the
old days when they were simple and diesel was cheap. they maybe made sense.. Hell, sometimes diesel cost more than premium these days. They are alot heavier, which is harder on the front suspension.. The fuel mileage vs cost just doesn't work... AND the 6.0 is not reliable.. IMHO...

JM
Old 01-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #10

Diesel vs gas

I have 50,000 trouble free miles -- chipped.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote